In the modern technological environment, users widely prefer to save Office 365 data as a backup at the desired location in the local drive. Most users are interested in exporting Office 365 data to Outlook. Office 365 backup is essentials and engaging activity for users. Routinely getting Office 365 mailbox backup reduces the risk of data loss.
In this write-up, I will discuss the solution to backup Office 365 mailboxes to Outlook PST. Before discussing in-depth, I would like to define some reasons for taking Office 365 backup in Outlook PST format.
Some possible reasons for creating Office 365 backup:
Users can use Backup Office 365 emails in different file formats for the reasons listed.
- We have to accept one thing that is we live in a world full of ransomware and hackers. And to protect Office 365 data from them, many MNCs stores their crucial business-related data in PST files so no one can access them.
- Office 365 stores data on the cloud server, but Microsoft also suggests users have a complete Office 365 mailbox backup in local disk.
- In case of an employee resigns, his Office 365 account should be transferred and saved offline for future analysis and cut the mailbox cost.
How and Where to Backup?
The PST file format option is best suited to get Office 365 mailbox backup. Users can use a manual method like E-discovery or a professional third-party tool to backup Office 365 emails in Outlook PST files. Here, firstly, I will define how to take Office 365 backup using the e-Discovery utility.
Manual Steps to Backup Office 365 to PST using eDiscovery Tool:
eDiscovery is used to search and find data from mailbox/public folders of Exchange Online and exports this data to PST files for future reference.
- Firstly, you need to log in to your Office 365 with the administrator credentials, then go to the Office 365 Admin Centre.
- Now, select the Security tab from the left pane and click on the Permission option.
- Then, add yourself to the eDiscovery Manager Role group member.
- Now navigate the Search option from the left pane and create a new Content search by clicking the New Search option. Provide the search name and then press Next. After that, select the mailbox you need to export.
- You can filter your mailboxes such as time range, email metadata (from, to, cc, bcc), and message types before export that will get added in the next stage.
- You can also export emails from Public folders by choosing the option to scan all public folders.
- After choosing the desired export options, click the Start export option to start the process.
- After completing the export Office 365 mailbox to PST process, you can download and save the search results to your local drive by clicking on the Download export result in the Content Search dialogue window.
- It will generate an export key, which you can copy to your clipboard.
- In the eDiscovery tool, paste the export key. Now, browse the place where you require the PST files to get saved.
- Finally, you can use these PST files to access your mailbox anytime in case of data loss.
Here, the manual process gets completed, but the eDiscovery method is not suitable for non-technocrats as it comes with several drawbacks and complications. With the help of a professional third-party tool, one can quickly and easily backup Office 365 emails, contacts, and calendar data from Office 365 mailboxes. Have a look.
A professional method to get Office 365 backup
Shoviv Office 365 Backup & Restore tool is a quality solution to backup Office 365 emails and other information. It has User-friendly GUI and offers simple processing. This tool is lace-up with many advanced and user-centric features that make it the first choice even for non-technocrats.
- It provides a quick and secure backup of Office 365 mailboxes in PST file format without any malfunction.
- The tool works on a job-based backup process, and users don’t need to make a connection all the time to run the job.
- The Office 365 backup tool can run multiple jobs at the same time.
- It provides an accurate backup of user mailboxes, public folders, and archive mailboxes.
- The tool provides the option for periodic backup. Using this feature, you can backup Office 365 mailboxes concurrently.
- The tool also has a filter option to exclude items on the item date, item class, and folder filter basis.
Complete and Incremental Backup option:
While backing up the data, there may exist some situations, which can interrupt the backup process. In other tools, you have to restart the interrupted backup process. But the Shoviv Office 365 Backup and Restore tool comes with a pre-default Incremental backup feature. Hence if the backup process gets interrupted, then don’t worry, the software will automatically resume it.
Windows (32-bit & 64-bit operating systems)
- All Edition of Windows, including Windows 10.
Windows Server (32-bit & 64-bit)
- All Editions of Windows Server (10, 8, 7, Vista, XP, 2000) -(2012, 2012 R2, 2008 R2, 2008, 2003)
Step-by-Step Process of Office 365 Backup:
- Step1: At first, install and run Shoviv Office 365 Backup and Restore tool.
- Step2: Now, click on the Connect Office 365 option and create a backup project.
- Step3: Then, assign member rights to the mailboxes and move to the Backup Directory.
- Step4: Here, give a name and pick the directory to store Microsoft 365 backup.
- Step5: Next, proceed to the Backup job tab and enter the name for the backup task. Then, click Next.
- Step6: Here, choose the mailboxes you need to backup in the PST file and click the Next (You can also give delegate permissions from this window).
- Step7: Now, the filter wizard appears. Use filter data on the Include/exclude Message class, Date range, and Folder filter basis and then click Next.
- Step8: Next, the Settings wizard will appear. Users have to select the backup thread count and other settings as per necessity. Also, users can Split the resulting PST file as needed.
- Step9: Now, users will get the scheduler option. From here, users can run the created job instantly or can also schedule the backup job.
- Step10: Finally, users can preview all the properties and values you have set for the backup Office 365 mailboxes. When done, click Finish, or click Back to change the settings.
- Step11: After clicking on the Finish button, the software starts performing a backup of the selected mailbox. Users can monitor the entire process on their screens and can pause and resume the process anytime.
There are advanced features in Office 365 that are pulling users towards it. Several Office 365 users face the problem as they require to create an Office 365 emails backup. Many Office 3665 administrators and Microsoft MVP suggest Shoviv Office 365 backup tool to backup Office 365 emails. Users can also check the software work effectiveness by downloading a free trial /demo version that allows processing the first 50 items per folder.