Fashion is a fast-paced and ever-changing industry that relies heavily on speed and efficiency. In the past few years, the introduction of e-commerce or online shopping has had a massive impact on retail businesses. Brands are now looking for new technological solutions to solve the problems of the fashion supply chain and make it more efficient for both the retailer and the customer. Technological solutions like Blockchain, Artificial Intelligence, Virtual Sampling, 3D Printing, etc., have brought a massive revolution in the fashion industry. One such solution is Tech Pack for 3D Clothing and AI Model Imagery, which entails using computer-aided solutions to create a virtual sample of your product which then can be sold on e-commerce websites. Tech Packs go a long way in terms of supply chain management in fashion industry, they basically work as a blueprint and entail all the information you need in order to turn your design into a finished garment.
How Does It Work?
Tech Packs have emerged as an extremely valuable tool for both designers and manufacturers. Basically, it works as an instruction manual that is created by the technical designer or the product developer, which is then passed on to the manufacturer who can turn your product design into the finished merchandise, ready to go for sale. AI-generated garments using a tech pack basically work as a one-stop solution to simplify the supply chain of fashion industry. A detailed and organized tech pack is crucial to any product development process, it gives the manufacturer a clear and concise idea of what your product is supposed to be like, if a tech pack is unorganized that would automatically reflect on your finished product. Here are some key things a tech pack should include:
- Technical drawings- First and foremost, a good tech pack starts with an illustration of the product. Technical drawings show the design intent of the product from every angle which helps in understanding the style, dimension, cut, etc., of the garment.
- Sizing and measurements- In general, this refers to the size chart or the quantity-related information a manufacturer needs to know.
- Fabric or style information- This part is perhaps the most important, it includes a detailed description of the type of fabric that you want and the constructional or styling details. Without this information, the manufacturer would be clueless about what type of material to use or how to go about it.
- Bill of Materials (BOM)- Bill of Materials includes all the additional elements that need to be placed on the garment, e.g., buttons, labels, tags, wash care information, pockets, etc.
Hence, we can say that a tech pack is a Full Stack Fashion Supply Chain solution.
Why Do You Need A Tech Pack?
Tech packs are among the most innovative technological solutions that have emerged in recent years. With the help of even the most simple tech packs, designers can create high-resolution 3D imagery or AI model imagery for their entire collections. This not only minimizes the cost of production but also reduces the time, effort, and mess involved in the traditional method of product development. Here are some key benefits of this technology:
- Bridges the communication gap- A number of European brands use Asian or developing countries for their large-scale manufacturing, in which case, there can be a huge communication gap between the designer and the manufacturer which can then reflect in the finished garment. Even the smallest communication error can result in a massive waste of cost and labour when it comes to large-scale production. This has been an ongoing hurdle in the supply chain in apparel industry for a long time. But now, with technological solutions like tech packs, manufacturers can get clear, precise, and descriptive instructions on how to go about the manufacturing process. A comprehensive tech pack goes a long way in explaining to the manufacturer how you want your finished product to look like, what colours to use, what patterns to apply, etc., this not only eliminates the risk of any potential production mistakes but also reduces the effort on both ends.
- Increases production speed and eliminates errors – With the help of a simple tech pack, designers can create clear and high-quality 3D clothing imagery which has a variety of benefits. Firstly, it reduces the chances of any potential mistakes involved in the traditional manufacturing process. When the manufacturer is provided with clear instructions and expectations, he can effectively avoid any potential errors. Secondly, it shortens the time span of each production cycle. Tech packs help the manufacturer plan and execute the production in a concise manner which ultimately results in them being able to produce more in a short period of time. This increases the speed at which each collection is put out on the market, and expands production capacity. Lastly, if you have an effective tech pack working between you and your manufacturer, you can request a quote on the production cost in the initial stage. This will help break down the manufacturing cost and you can get a better idea of profit margins before going into large-scale production. Safe to say, tech packs play an important role in supply chain management in fashion industry.
- Helps the teams function in a smooth manner- Different teams working on different parts of the production cycle like- the design team, production team, etc., can create massive chaos and contribute to information overload or misplacement within the management. Tech packs can prevent this from happening, it gives proper instructional manuals and directives to each wing of the production cycle, which helps them work smoothly and also create harmony between these teams. This goes a long way in terms of regulating the supply chain in apparel industry.
- Facilitates monitoring and minimizes waste- With tech packs, companies can easily monitor their collections from a single point of contact. This makes it much easier for them to track the production at every stage and rectify any errors if they come up. This, in turn, minimizes the rejection rate which helps reduce waste. AI-generated garments are already quite useful in reducing production waste, this further prevents that from happening.
In a nutshell, supply chain management in fashion industry has long suffered from mismanagement due to the continuous reliance on traditional methods. Now, with the emergence of technologies like tech packs and AI-generated products, brands have the option to maintain full control over their production process. This simple yet effective technology helps solve a lot of complications that arise in the production cycle of garment manufacturing. With its precise set of manual instructions, it helps save time, effort, investment, waste, labour, etc. Making the production process more efficient and sustainable.