Over the last decade, the Pharmaceutical industry has seen a huge rise with unique inventions of life-saving medicines. As the medical science field across the world is growing, it has opened doors for numerous job opportunities. For those seeking to enter this domain, the most popular programs include B Pharm, M Pharma, Ph.D. in Pharma amongst others. However, if you are looking for a short-term course with a view to gaining more experience and knowledge, then you must consider a Diploma in Pharmacy. A Diploma in Pharmacy or D Pharm is an entry-level diploma program in the field of pharmaceutical sciences. In this blog, we will talk in detail about what D Pharma course is all about, eligibility criteria for admission as well as the job prospects it offers!
About D Pharmacy course
The aim of the diploma program is to impart to students the foundational knowledge of pharmaceuticals. The course duration is generally 1 to 2 years in which students are trained with the required skills and academic knowledge behind the formation of various types of pharmaceutical drugs. D Pharma course deals with the study of Pharmacy software practice, Biochemistry and Clinical, Human Anatomy, Clinical Pharmacy, Health Education and Pharmaceutical Chemistry., Advanced Pharmaceutical Chemistry.
Why D Pharmacy?
If you are wondering why to choose Diploma in Pharmacy course, here are a few good reasons:
1. There are numerous job opportunities in private as well as government hospitals or stores that one can grab after successful completion of the course. A few of the options are to work in NGOs, a drug store or get entry-level jobs in reputed pharmaceutical companies where you can check the prescription and give medicines.
Big pharmaceutical companies hire for job positions like Process controller, Quality controller, Manufacturing Head amongst other job profiles.
- Pharmacists are in high demand and the healthcare sector is expected to grow even further in the coming years. Hence, candidates looking for a job in this sector have great opportunities.
- The online pharmacy business has become quite popular in recent years. D Pharma graduates who have the required skills to run a business are equipped to open an online pharmacy.
- Unlike other medical jobs, if you choose to work as a pharmacist you can enjoy a flexible work schedule.
D Pharm Admission 2021
If you are looking for admission to the top D Pharma colleges in India, you must be aware of the admission procedure. The application process varies from one college to another. Most of the colleges take an entrance test to provide admission to the students while few colleges even provide direct admission i.e. based on merit.
Since there is no common admission procedure to all colleges in India providing D Pharma admission, it is difficult to state a particular D Pharma admission date. Hence, candidates are recommended to check with the website of the intended universities to keep in touch with the related officials for information related to admission.
D Pharma Course fee structure
D Pharma fees structure varies depending upon the facilities provided by the institution and also depends on whether the institute is private, semi-private or government. However, the average fee of D Pharm course is INR 45,000 to INR 1,20,000 per year.
D Pharmacy admission process 2021 eligibility
To acquire admission in any of the leading D Pharma colleges in India, here are the common eligibility criteria that you must fulfill:
- Candidates must have passed 10+2 or any equivalent examination from a recognized board
- Must have studied Chemistry, Physics, Biology or Mathematics as the main subject in school
- Must have obtained at least 50% marks in aggregate
Key skills for pharmacists
Some of the must-haves skill sets of pharmacists are mentioned below:
- Analytical skills – It is one of the most fundamental skills required in the field of pharmacy. Pharmacists have to approach their work with an analytical mind to come with unique solutions as it is important to make logical decisions at all times.
- Strong numeric skills – In order to make accurate pharmaceutical calculations, numeric skills are important. For providing correct dosages to patients, you need to provide unique solutions.
- Management skills – Depending on your workplace and work structure, you may be responsible for managing technicians and in some cases keeping accountable records as well. Hence, management skills is something that is essential to excel in this field.
- Attention to detail – Pharmacists are dealing with medicine in every aspect – right from production to dispensing of medicine. Hence, it is important to pay attention to detail and be accurate in day-to-day work as it is a matter of life or death.
- Communication skills – Like all other job roles, pharmacists also need to have good communication skills. It is the job of pharmacists to communicate with the patients clearly and effectively so that they don’t miss out on any important information regarding their prescription.
- Basic computer skills – Since we live in a digital age, it is important for pharmacists to be comfortable working with computers and keep up with the fast-paced industry.
- Professional ethics – Last but one of the most important ones, pharmacists are expected to practice ethics. They deal with patients with different medical conditions on a daily basis. It is crucial that they respect the private information of the patient and treat them with respect.
Check out the list of job roles available to D Pharma students after the completion of the course:
- Production executive
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Research Officer
- Pathological Lab Scientist
- Pharmaceutical Scientist
- Medical Writer
- Drug Inspector
- Quality Control
The pharmaceutical industry requires qualified professionals who have a detailed understanding of Pharmacy. As mentioned earlier, students who are passionate about this domain must opt for relevant courses as per their interests. If you are looking to pursue Diploma in Pharmacy, there are many top colleges in India such as BFit Doon that provide relevant knowledge to enable a candidate to understand the basic concepts of Pharmacy. Contact us today and we will help you navigate the admission process!