If you are using Scanpst.exe to repair the OST files, then you should stop using it now. In this blog, we will discuss why a user must not use this tool and will give users knowledge about repairing the OST files. Let us now learn about the repairing process. Why don’t repair OST files with scanpst.exe
What are the reasons why the OST file is corrupted?
It becomes necessary to have accurate information about the causes in order to avoid any kind of damage to future OST files. These are the reasons why corruption in OST files-
- A virus or a bug may be a major cause of OST file corruption.
- Whenever Outlook is not closed properly, the file is affected.
- Every file has a size limit. Whenever data exceeds the size limit, there is a chance that the files will not be accessible.
- Some additions or extensions are not compatible with Outlook.
- Continued interruptions due to power outages or low internet connection can also lead to OST file damage.
How OST Files Get corrupted
- The OST file is infected with a virus or malware attack
- Improper termination of Outlook
- Increased power problem while syncing Outlook data
- Large OST file
- Corruption or Errors on the hard disk where the OST file is stored
- Incompatible third-party Outlook extensions
What is Scanpst.exe?
When Outlook files are inaccessible, damaged, or corrupted, the Inbox Repair Tool or Scanpst.exe helps find the root of the problem and fix it.
Why not edit the OST file with Scanpst.exe?
While you are having problems with any Outlook data file, one of the most sought-after solutions is Scanpst.exe. It may be able to identify and solve some minor problems, but that is not always the case. As the name suggests, the Scanpst.exe tool is specifically designed to fix problems related to PST files. Troubleshooting OST is not the purpose behind a tool. Since the files contain cache data, it is recommended that you restart with a clean slate.
Method 1: Archive IMAP OST data in PST file
To convert your IMAP OST data to PST format, you can use the Outlook application archive. To archive the OST file, follow the steps below:
- Open MS Outlook on your system in offline mode to access the IMAP OST file.
- Click the File tab in the menu and select Options in MS Outlook.
- From the Options window, visit the Advanced option and click on Auto-Archive Settings.
- Auto-Archive dialog box appears on the screen. Modify settings according to the latest backup data.
- Select the destination to save the archived PST file, then click OK.
- Once the file has been saved to your system, copy and paste it into the system where Outlook 2016 is installed. After moving the PST file to the desired location, use the Outlook 2016 Import / Export function to move the file.
Import / Export PST to Outlook 2016
Follow the steps below to import PST files to Outlook 2016.
- Open MS Outlook 2016 on your system and go to the File tab
- Select the Open & Send option and click Import / Remove
- The Import / Remove Wizard will appear on the screen. From the options provided, select ‘Import another program or file’ and click Next
- Now, select the Outlook (.pst) data option and click Next
- Browse the PST archive file we saved earlier, select the ‘Repeat with imported options’ option, and click Next to continue.
- Once you have selected the OST file, it will appear in the Import Data Outlook section. Check the ‘Import items in the same folder’ and click Finish
Your IMAP OST file data will be transferred to Outlook 2016 immediately without much hassle. However, this method of professionalization restricts certain restrictions, such as limiting data transfer, is time-consuming, and does not remove all IMAP OST data.
Repair the OST files easily using the OST to PST Converter tool
Users can use this advanced Softaken OST Recovery application for an easy converting of the OST files to Outlook PST format. The repairing process using this advanced OST to PST Converter tool is provided below;
- Open the Softaken OST Recovery tool
- Now, add OST files that you need to convert
- Get a preview of the selected OST files
- Add the path to save the converted OST files
- Finally click on the ‘convert now‘ button
Within these few steps, a user can easily convert their OST files and repair their OST files. No hurdle is faced by the users using this advanced tool.
Scanpst.exe is intended for errors in PST files, although you may try to repair OST files with Scanpst.exe. This scan may resolve minor errors in OST files but does not occur at all when handling major problems. To edit these files, OST files must be rebuilt from scratch, which can be done by renaming the .old file. This method works when working with a stable internet connection. Why don’t repair OST files with scanpst.exe and another way is to convert OST files to PST files.